Pat Cheeks is available for speaking on a variety of topics and to a variety of groups. Pat is a Board Certified Psych/Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist with more than 31 years experience as a nurse, administrator, therapist, counselor and advocate. She has spoken locally and nationally to women’s groups, men’s groups, high school and college students, companies and in private group settings. Her speaking resume is available upon request.
Pat can tailor a talk, workshop or keynote speech around a variety of topics, including, but not limited to:
- Life’s transitions
- Trauma and PTSD (DID/MPD)
- How to talk to your doctor
- Patient advocacy
- Coping with change
- Domestic abuse
- Empty Nest Syndrome
- Sexual abuse
- Healing Touch Therapy
- What to expect when you’re expecting (men and/or women’s groups)
- Getting back into the work force
- What to do when you’re laid off
- Exploring your sexual identity
- Rape and sexual assault
ABOUT PAT CHEEKS
Pat’s nursing career has spanned three decades, including a position as Navigator/Manager at Rockingham Memorial Hospital
and the Women’s Midlife Services Coordinator at Martha Jefferson Hospital, where she provided outpatient and inpatient education for a variety of Women’s Health physical and emotional issues, including breast cancer. A University of Virginia Nursing School graduate, Pat has spent her entire career in the Shenandoah Valley, Charlottesville and Albermarle County, Virginia and has been very active in local groups, including S.A.R.A (Sexual Assault Resource Agency from 1985 to 2002) and was recently honored with the Annette DeGregoria Grimm Award. The award is for extraordinary contributions to the elimination of sexual violence.
She is a member of the American Holistic Nurses Association (2007 – present), the North American Menopause Society (2001 – 2009) and Healing Beyond Borders: Educating and Certifying the Healing Touch (2013-present).
Pat’s experience with women’s health issues, particularly breast cancer, is extensive. She has:
- Facilitated support groups for survivors of breast cancer
- Accompanied, educated and supported women newly diagnosed with breast cancer
- Provided lectures and facilitated discussions for groups
- Event planning, including assisting in some fund raising activities and in planning new Women’s Center on the RMH campus
- Developed new notebooks designed specifically for breast cancer patients.
- Established partnership with White Oak Lavender Farm to utilize lavender for women undergoing biopsies and other treatments.
- Presented 2 posters at a National Conference in March 2010 (National Corsortium of Breast Centers).
- Provide counseling for women and couples.
- Responsible for budget, design input for new outpatient facility and replacement hospital
- Spoken to outside women’s groups and numerous print, radio and television opportunities
Contact Pat to schedule her as a speaker, workshop leader or transition consultant for your organization.